Tuesday, July 26, 2011

NFL is BACK


Well, well, well. Look who's back. Like a drunk buddy stumbling through your apartment door at 9am after a bar bender, the NFL is back and things are about to get crazy.

I've neglected the blog for a while. LeBron choked. The Tribe is playing good ball, and the NFL has been in a lockout.

Only, I don't really call it a lockout. They really didn't miss anything. That's like saying I was locked out of work last Saturday and Sunday. No...I wouldn't of been there anyways. Granted the Hall of Fame Preseason game was canceled. Take a vote on who cares about that. If you've read this blog for a while, you know my disdain for Preseason games, and the racket that they are. I was hoping a few more Preseason games would be canceled. I bet LOTS of other season ticket holders feel the same way. It's like paying full price for a steak dinner at XO, but getting a frozen Banquet Salsbury Steak with green beans and mashed potatoes. Chew on that.

Undrafted kids from college are eligible now to sign with NFL teams. Two guys I was hoping would be donning the Orange and Brown would be WR Dane Sanzenbacher (sp?) and RB Jon Clay. Dane signed with the Bears and Clay with the dreaded Steelers.

So, ok, we move on from those guys. I am praying the Browns are able to ink a WR.

WR Santonio Holmes: I don't think there's a shot in heck that the Browns can ink this guy. It'd shock the world if we did, but I don't see it happening.

WR Sidney Rice: I like the guys speed, and his ability to spread the field, but I think we'd have to way overspend to sign him. I'm not convinced he's a #1 WR, but we'd have to pay him like a top flight #1 WR.

WR Braylon Edwards: Who? NEXT.

WR Steve Smith (NYG): Another guy I like. He's got good hands, and he's an upgrade over what we have. Bear in mind that he's also not a #1 more a mid #2 at best.

WR Plaxico Burress: Why not? NEXT.

WR Malcolm Floyd: Here's a guy that I'm high on. I think he can develop into a very productive WR for us, and his price tag should be in our range.

There's also a slew of very good offensive lineman available. Keep an eye on that.

Avid Browns fan Joe Marcotte wrote into the blog saying he wouldn't mind seeing the Browns land Charles Johnson, Dante Whitener, and Paul Posluzny. He feels if we can snag 2 of the 3, or even all 3, we'd be in great shape. I couldn't agree more. He also feels we should go after a RT. The man knows what he's talking about folks.

On the defensive side of the ball, the cornerbacks stand out to me. There is some serious talent there.

Should we go after a RB? I know everyone loves them some Peyton Hillis (myself included), but I'm not convinced we can rely on him all season. We need a serviceable #2 RB (Hardesty??) and/or a change of pace back. For a #2 Ahmad Bradshaw, Joseph Addai, Michael Bush, Cedric Benson would be above the call of serviceable. For a change of pace back, I like Sproles from SD.

Players are resigning as I type. Players are signing as I type. Lots of trades being mentioned. I'll do my best to continue updating this, otherwise, my dad may delete it from his bookmarks.

All for now, time for dinner and some NCAA Football. Go Baylor Bears.

1 comment:

Coach said...

Good stuff from the Backyard Legend! Going to be an interesting few days here leading up to Browns camp!